Applying for GMC Registration After Passing PLAB 2
Hey readers! I'm Rachit, a fully GMC registered doctor, and I'm back with another TrewLink blog post to assist you on your UK journey. I hope my previous blog on PLAB 2 preparation was beneficial for you, and I'm confident that this one will be helpful too.
First things first, congratulations on passing PLAB 2! You're now one step closer to achieving your dream of working in the UK. The next exciting phase is applying for GMC registration. While the process is pretty straightforward, it can sometimes become overwhelming due to the limited resources available on the internet. But don't worry, I've got your back! I'll do my best to simplify things for you.
Although this blog mainly focuses on the process of applying for Full GMC registration through the PLAB route, I believe it will also provide some assistance to those applying through other routes. So, let’s begin and make this journey easier for you!
Preparing Your Documents
Ensuring that your documents are well-organised is crucial when it comes to any
kind of application. Here is a list of the documents typically required for GMC
1. Passport: Provide the photo ID page and the page with your signature.
2. Primary medical qualification: Submit the PMQ (MBBS) certificate, which should confirm the date you met all requirements for your degree. If it doesn't, include a letter from your university with the necessary information.
3. Certificate of good standing (CGS): Obtain a CGS from the medical regulatory authority in any country where you held registration in the last five years.
4. Evidence of English language proficiency: Demonstrate your knowledge of English
through accepted evidence outlined on the GMC website (IELTS/OET).
5. Evidence of completion of acceptable experience: Show completion of Foundation
Year 1 in the UK or an equivalent clinical experience elsewhere (Internship/house job certificate).
6. Translations: Provide accurate translations of non-English documents, including
the original and translated versions.
7. Employer references: Only required for non-medical work or medical work without registration in the past five years. Employers should complete the reference form. In addition to these documents, it is essential to complete your EPIC verification before proceeding with the registration application.
Step-by-Step Guide to Full Registration Through PLAB Route
Let's break it down into steps for your convenience. Make sure to carefully follow the instructions provided by the GMC at each stage of the application process. Here's
how to go about it:
1. Gather all your documents and log in to your GMC online account. On the left side menu bar, click on "My registration" and then select "My applications" from the options. Follow the instructions provided and click on the "Apply" button.
2. On the "Before you apply" page, you will find a link to important information and guidance. It is advisable to go through this before proceeding with the application. Now, click on "continue with application”.
3. Next, you will reach the "Route Selection" page, where you will be asked to choose whether you want to apply for entry onto the Specialist Register or the GP Register. If you have only completed internship/FY1, select "No". For recently graduated IMGs, this is usually the appropriate choice. If you have any doubts, reach out to the GMC for clarification. Once you select "No", another page will open. Read the acceptable patterns of experience carefully and if it's acceptable, select "Yes". Choose the application type “full registration with license to practice after passing PLAB", and click “Apply".
4. A new page will appear, prompting you to enter your EPIC ID. Then, you will need to fill in the following sections in order: Internship details, Name details, Recent professional experience, Registration and licensing, Fitness to practice (your health), Declaration of fitness to practice, and Final declaration.
Choosing between post-graduate and pre-graduate internship types can be confusing for some. Based on my experience, if you completed your MBBS from India or Pakistan, you can select post-graduate internship type. Remember to list your internship rotations separately.
Another area where people face difficulties is the "Recent professional experience" section. It is crucial to mention periods of unemployment with honest reasons like vacation or study leave, as the GMC may request proof for any gaps. Carefully read the instructions before filling out this section.
5. Pay the registration fee as instructed. After successful payment, you will receive an email from the GMC requesting the documents that I have mentioned in the beginning. Attach all the requested documents in a single PDF file and send it back to the GMC. They typically allow maximum 28 days to reply to their email, but it is advisable to reply with your documents as soon as possible to avoid any delays.
6. Finally, wait for the confirmation email from the GMC. This can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. In some cases, additional documents may be required for registration to be granted. If this happens, it is best to directly contact the GMC for guidance and clarification.
Remember to take your time, carefully follow the instructions, and reach out to the GMC if you have any questions or concerns.
Seek GMC Help
To wrap it up, applying for full GMC registration through the PLAB route may seem daunting at first, but by following instructions carefully and gathering the required documents, you can make the process smoother. Remember to seek help from the GMC if needed.
Best of luck!
Need More Help?
If you have any questions regarding PLAB exam and GMC registration, I would be happy to answer them at trewlink.com. You can register using this link. Find me as an Ambassador and Follow my profile- Rachit Sharma - to receive regular support and advice.