Applying for GMC Registration as an EU Graduate
Hi, my name is Divya. I am a Czech medical graduate from India and currently working as a Surgical SHO in London. In today’s blog, I am going to guide you through the process of applying for GMC registration as an EU graduate. I will discuss the following topics:
- Completing your medical studies
- Obtaining your Medical degree
- Translating your documents to English
- Obtaining additional documents
- Applying for ECFMG/EPIC verification
- Applying for GMC registration
Completing your medical studies:
Most European medical universities provide a 6-year course for MD in General Medicine. The final year is the most crucial year in every medical student’s life, as this is the year we complete State exams. My University had 5 state exams to be completed in order for us to obtain our Medical Degree. The earlier you can try and finish your last exam, the earlier you can start with the paperwork process.
Obtaining your Medical Degree:
My University had their Graduation Ceremony, i.e., the official handing over of the Diploma, approximately 30 days after your last exam. This time could seem frustrating, but you could prepare your additional documents for the application process in the meantime so that once you get your Diploma, you are ready to go.
Translating your documents to English:
Most European Universities provide a Diploma in Latin and a study transcript in both the local language and English. These documents need to be translated into English for them to be processed by the ECFMG and the GMC. Before translating, a good thing would be to get notarised copies of the originals, just so all the additional stamps and signatures do not hamper your Original documents (if you wish to frame your Diploma or store them somewhere).
Obtaining additional documents:
For ECFMG/EPIC verification, you will need the following:
- A scanned, full-color copy of the photograph page of your current, unexpired passport
- A scanned, full-color copy of the page that contains your passport expiration date, if
- A scanned, full-color copy of the section of your passport that is in Latin characters, if
- A full-color photograph of yourself
- Information about your medical education, including your medical school identification number (if applicable) and attendance and degree issue dates;
- Your medical licensure information, including any identification numbers;
- Your USMLE/ECFMG Identification Number (if you have one); and
- Your ECFMG International Credentials Services (EICS) Identification Number (if you have one)
For GMC registration, you will need the following:
- Acceptable Medical Qualification
- EPIC verification
- Acceptable pattern of Internship - 12 months
- Police clearance from all countries you have lived in for more than 6 months in the past 10 years after you turned 18
- IELTS/OET test results (if you are from a non-English speaking country or you qualified in a non-English speaking country)
Applying for ECFMG/EPIC verification
You must apply for an EPIC account on the ECFMG website with the information mentioned above. You do not need your credentials except for your passport and a passport-size photograph at this stage. You will also have to pay a $160 fee for opening the account.
Once you upload these, they will generate an EPIC Identification Form (EIF) that has to be notarised by NotaryCam.
You will have to wait for an appointment with them, which could take a few days. Once the form has been notarised, it will take 5-7 working days for them to process the form. Only then will your account be created. You can now upload your credentials. You must also select the organisation that you want the verification report to be sent to, in this case, to the General Medical Council (GMC), and pay the fee for EPIC registration - $100.
• Final Medical Diploma
• Alternate Graduation Document
• Final Medical School Transcript
• Student Medical School Transcript
• Pregraduate Internship Credential
• Postgraduate Medical Education Credential
• Specialist Qualification
• Certificate of Medical Registration
• License to Practice Medicine
• Advanced Degree in the Medical Sciences
Once you get the email from ECFMG saying that the credentials have been sent for verification to your University, you can start your GMC registration process.
Applying for GMC registration
Apply for a GMC Online account - you just have to fill out your details and complete the application. You will need to pay a fee for the GMC registration as well. Once this is completed, you will have to send in a PDF form with all your evidence attached and compiled into one PDF file via email to the GMC.
The processing of your evidence can take anywhere from 6 days to 6 months! You will receive an email inviting you to the last step of the registration process - an ID check in the UK. They will specify which office you have to go to, either the one in Manchester or the one in London. You will have to go to your GMC Online account immediately after receiving the email to book an appointment for the GMC ID Check (dates get booked quickly).
The ID check takes about 15-20 minutes, and you only need your passport on the day. Once complete, you will be registered with the GMC and have your name in the GMC Medical Register for anyone to find.
Congratulations! You are now a GMC-registered doctor!
You can go through some of the blogs on TrewLink that talk more in detail about the EPIC verification process and the GMC registration process.
If you have any questions regarding applying for GMC registration as an EU graduate, I would be happy to answer them at trewlink.com. You can register using the link https://trewlink.com?referrer=dj1919096. Find me as an Ambassador and Follow my profile - Dr. Divya Jayarajan - to receive regular support and advice.