top of page
  • parinaz00

Tax Claims for Tier 2 Visa Holders in the UK: What You Need to Know


Working in the UK on a Tier 2 visa comes with its own set of challenges, but it also offers opportunities to claim tax relief on certain expenses. While you can't claim tax on all your expenses, there are specific items and services for which you may be eligible for tax relief. In this blog, we'll explore what you can claim tax for and provide guidance on how to go about it.

What Can You Claim Tax For?

As a medical professional on a Tier 2 visa, you can claim tax relief for various expenses related to your work and career progression. Here's a breakdown of what you can potentially claim tax for:

1. Professional Equipment: You can claim tax relief on the cost of professional equipment necessary for your job, such as stethoscopes and other medical tools.

2. Professional Fees: This includes fees for organizations like the General Medical Council (GMC), indemnity insurance, and membership fees for professional associations like the British Medical Association (BMA).

3. Royal Colleges: If you're a member of Royal Colleges, such as the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), you may be eligible for tax relief on your membership fees.

4. Exams and Courses: Fees paid for exams and courses that are essential for your career progression can be claimed for tax relief.

5. Commuting Expenses: If you use public transport or a car to commute to home visits or exams, you can potentially claim tax relief on these expenses.

6. Accommodation Expenses: When attending courses or exams that require overnight stays, you may be eligible to claim tax relief on your accommodation expenses.

How Much Tax Relief Can You Expect?

The amount you can claim for tax relief is typically a percentage of the actual cost of the expenses you incurred. This percentage can vary but usually falls within the range of 10% to 20%. Keep in mind that you won't receive the entire amount you paid; rather, it's the tax on those expenses that you can potentially reclaim.

How to Claim Tax Relief:

To claim tax relief on your eligible expenses, you have a couple of options:

1. Online Claim: You can use the HMRC website to apply for tax relief. Provide details of your expenses and follow the online instructions.

2. Written Claim: Alternatively, you can send a letter to HMRC explaining your circumstances and specifying which expenses you're seeking tax relief for. This method allows you to provide a more detailed explanation.

Important Notes:

- Claiming tax relief on eligible expenses should not pose any issues with immigration or other authorities.

- If you're unsure whether a particular expense qualifies for tax relief, you can contact HMRC directly. It's advisable to call them early in the morning to avoid long wait times.


While working in the UK on a Tier 2 visa, you can take advantage of tax relief opportunities for various work-related expenses. By claiming tax relief on eligible items and services, you can potentially reduce your tax liability and ease the financial burden of your professional journey in the UK. Be sure to keep records of your expenses and stay informed about the latest tax regulations to make the most of this benefit.

Need More Help?

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them at You can register using this link. Find me as an Ambassador/Expert and Follow my profile – Rahul Shivaraj - to receive regular support and advice.

425 views0 comments


bottom of page